There are many things to know about STDs:
- 1 in 4 teens has an STD.
- Some may be treated and cured with antibiotics, like gonorrhea and chlamydia. Others, like herpes, have no cure.
- Birth control pills do NOT prevent STDs. The best prevention is abstinence or condom use.
- STDs can impact fertility in both men and women.
- Not all STDs have symptoms. Some diseases can lie dormant for months or even years.
- The most common STD is the HPV virus.
Center for Disease Control (CDC) Screening Recommendations:
- If you are sexually active, be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) testing and which tests may be right for you.
- All adults and adolescents should be tested at least once for HIV.
- Annual Chlamydia screening is recommended for all sexually active women age 25 and under, as well as older women with risk factors such as new or multiple sex partners.
- At-risk sexually active women should be screened yearly for Gonorrhea (i.e. those with new or multiple sex partners and women who live in communities with high concentrations of disease).
- All pregnant women should be screened for Syphilis, HIV, chlamydia, and Hepatitis B. At-risk pregnant woman should have Gonorrhea screenings at the first prenatal visit to protect the health of mothers and their infants.
- Trichomoniasis screening should be conducted at least annually for all HIV-infected women.
- All sexually-active gay men, bisexual men and men who have sex with other males (MSM) should be screened at least once a year for Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and HIV. MSM who have multiple or anonymous partners should be screened more frequently for STIs at 3 to 6 month intervals. In addition, MSM who have sex in conjunction with illicit drug use (particularly methamphetamine use) or whose sex partners participate in these activities should be screened more frequently.
Don’t Wait – Get Tested Today
The worry and uncertainty of not knowing can be overwhelming and paralyzing. But if you are at risk of STD infection, time matters. Contact ARCpoint Labs of Chicago Midway, IL today.